I originally found this recipe on lekkerensimpel.com/couscous-met-pompoen-en-worst/ in which they used chicken sausages as their meat of choice. However I was not a huge fan of the chicken idea, and as the Lidl does not have chicken sausages anyways, I used smoked sausage instead.
Ingredients (3 persons)
- 150g Couscous
- 250g Pumpkin (in cubes)
- 275g Smoked sausage
- 2 Bell peppers
- 1 Leek
- 1 Onion
- 1 Vegatable stock cube
- Garlic or Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Put the couscous in a large boil and pour boiling water over it until there is about 1-2cm more water in the bowl than there is couscous.
- Add a crumbled piece of stock cube to the water and put some form of lid on top of the bowl.
- Let it rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Veggies and meat
- Boil the pumpkin cubes for about 10 minutes until they are soft (test with a fork or knife).
- Cut the smoked sausage, onion, bell peppers and leek in pieces.
- Put some oil in a large pan and roast the sausage pieces until they start to brown.
- Add the pieces of leek, bell pepper, onion, and garlic and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin cubes and other spices, toss everything around and turn of the fire.
- Loosen the couscous with a fork and add it to the pan with the veggies and meat.
- Serve on plates and fill your belly.